Not Guilty Decision Records

Expunging Not Guilty Decision Records


You must file documents with the clerk of court in the county where the not guilty decision was made.

You must file one petition in each county.

More than one county. If you have not guilty records in more than one county, you must file a petition in each county.


There is no deadline. You may file a petition at any time.


There is no filing fee for this petition.


You must complete and file one petition. The form number is AOC-CR-288. Use one petition form for all of your not guilty records in one county.

If you need more room to list more not guilty records in the same county, or you want to list more arresting agencies, you must complete and file form AOC-CR-285.

You can download the forms from the NC Courts website using the links in the "Forms and Instructions" list below. You may also get free forms at the clerk of court's office in any county.


Download the instructions for filling out these forms in the "Forms and Instructions" list below.

Dismissed Charge Records

If you also have dismissed charge records, click here. For your convenience, you may wish to file a petition to expunge not guiltydecision records at the same time that you file a petition to expunge dismissed charge records.

Forms and instructions

Document Form number
Instructions: Petition to expunge not guilty decision records  
Form: Petition to expunge not guilty decision records AOC-CR-288
Form: Expunction Petition Attachment AOC-CR-285
Instructions: Petition to Proceed as an Indigent  
Form: Petition to Proceed as an Indigent AOC-G-106
Form: Civil Affidavit of Indigency AOC-CV-226
Form: Criminal Affidavit of Indigency AOC-CR-226

Filing instructions by county