Watch this video to learn who we are, what we do, and how we’re striving to make a difference in North Carolina.
Legal Aid of North Carolina is a statewide, nonprofit law firm that provides free legal services in civil matters to low-income people in order to ensure equal access to justice and to remove legal barriers to economic opportunity.
Legal Aid of North Carolina is an innovative, creative, progressive, and efficient civil legal service provider to the poor, working toward an inclusive justice system of equal access. All voices are valued, heard, and respected.
- No other legal services organization has a statewide footprint and local offices to help every NC resident, especially those in deep poverty, obtain equal access to justice.
- In 2023, we managed over 25,000 cases, empowering more than 65,000 individuals to understand and assert their rights. Our efforts extended to over 30,000 children in North Carolina. Our top service areas included issues such as domestic abuse, eviction, immigration/naturalization, federally subsidized housing, and criminal record expungement.
- Within this framework, we addressed the unique challenges faced by our clients, whose average household income stood at $21,635 annually, reflecting 102.9% of the federal poverty level.
- Legal Aid NC is fiscally responsible and well-run, spending only 10% of its financial assets on administrative costs.
- Legal representation in housing, family law, consumer issues, and more.
- Community education and outreach programs to empower individuals with legal knowledge.
- Collaboration with other organizations, to create a comprehensive network of support.
- Our attorneys, social workers and staff are committed, mission-aligned, resourceful and talented.
- Legal Aid NC gives the legal community opportunities to volunteer their time and connect to pro bono cases that are meaningful to them.
Contact the Veterans Crisis Line
VA Homeless Programs 2022 CHALENG Results
Innovation Lab at Legal Aid of North Carolina Aims to Revolutionize Access to Justice
Legal Aid of North Carolina's Chief Innovation Officer, Scheree Gilchrist, Named Recipient of Triangle Business Journal's 2024 Women in Business Awards
Legal Aid of North Carolina (LANC) is proud to announce that its Chief Innovation Officer…