Legal Aid of North Carolina is here to remove civil legal barriers to economic opportunity for every vulnerable North Carolinian. In 2021, we provided legal services to 22,609 people, benefitting 53,265 total individuals, with the legal and non-legal services they need to live safe, stable, self-sufficient, productive and meaningful lives. Here’s how we do it.
We fight for families and protect victims of violence
- Secure protective orders for victims of domestic violence.
- Defend victims of violence in child custody disputes.
- Work with grandparents on guardianship cases.
- Fight for children’s rights in schools.
We save homes and prevent homelessness
- Stop illegal evictions.
- Save homes from foreclosure.
- Fight housing discrimination.
- Prevent illegal termination of housing subsidies.
- Help disaster victims who have lost their homes.
We protect income and ensure economic opportunity
- Fight job discrimination.
- Recover illegally denied unemployment benefits.
- Stop wage theft to ensure workers are paid what they earned.
- Defend farmworkers in wage, housing, and safety matters.
- Expunge old criminal records to pave the way to employment and self-sufficiency.
See the Difference We’re Making
Learn more in our Annual Report below. Visit our GuideStar page to view our 990s and learn more about our services and accomplishments.
We do not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital or familial status, sexual orientation, or any basis prohibited by law. Read our full Statement and Policy of Non-Discrimination.