Help applying for SSI/SSDI benefits
Support from a Social Security (SS) representative
If you fill out this online form with some basic information about yourself or who you are applying for, a SS representative will set up an appointment to assist you with the application.
Assistance from a Social Worker where you receive medical care
Many hospitals and community health care centers have social workers on staff that work alongside medical professional. These social workers can sometimes assist with the initial SSI/SSDI application. Ask your doctor or clinic if there is a social worker on staff that can assist you with the application.
- For all applications, a comprehensive guide put out by SAMSHA can walk applicants through the process of applying for benefits
- For Child Disability applications, SSI Child Disability Starter Kit to help understand the application process
- For transition-aged youth (14-18), the SS has created youth accessible materials to understand the process of applying for disability as they reach 18
If you are homeless, and need help applying for SSI/SSDI benefits
SSI/SSDI Outreach, Access, and Recovery (SOAR) Program
If you are at risk of or experiencing homelessness, a SOAR caseworker might be able to assist you throughout the application process. Check this website to see if there is a SOAR caseworker in your county and call them to set up an appointment. *Note that as of 9/23, SOAR caseworkers only assist with Adult SSI applications, not Child applications.
If you are about to turn 18, and need help applying for re-determination as an adult
- Read through SAMSHA’s webpage on the re-determination process and how to continue to receive SSI into adulthood
- Review SS’s guide What You Need to Know about Your Supplemental Security Income (SSI) When You Turn 18
- Review SS’s other publications for transition-aged youth